I want to give a quick “Top 5” highlights of the first half and the “Top 5” goals of the second half of 2011. Not only do I want to let you know what is going on, but I think this will hold me accountable! 🙂
1. Busy buying bulls! We added a few proven bulls and have lots of genomic bulls coming through our program now. This is so much fun to do and to see as our business grows. A few bulls that you might not know about include an Ayrshire a few Brown Swiss (not yet public) and an Angus bull!
2. First Trip to Mexico! That trip really got me excited! I was very impressed on how good their cattle were! I always had it in my mind that Mexico cattle were sub par to ours…NOT true! They have (for the most part) tremendous dairy cattle! It also was great talking to the dairymen. They were so approachable and talked for hours to many of them. Our discussions were the same that I have here – high corn prices. It seems that dairyman all have the same struggles around the world. The number one issue on their minds was staying in business.
3. Daughters! It is so much fun seeing 1000s of daughters freshening from our bulls! We have daughters all over the place coming fresh and it is fun to see the end results. I saw the first daughters fresh in Texas and they are not going to stop coming! One of the main reasons why we choose to look at daughters constantly is because it is a reminder on how important our job is. Three years goes by so fast. Satisfied customers is our number one business strategy. Conception results are great, but after that dairymen need great cattle. Some of our customers are selling extra fresh heifers for a premium at the sale!
4. Growth! It is so satisfying see is our representatives growing! Some areas that are really taking off right now is in the East Coast with Precision Diagnostics, South America with Produgenes, and the West Coast in general from Washington to Idaho to Texas! With only a handful of people it makes a lot of work! Not one person we work with is scared of work – Work Hard, Play Hard! 🙂
5. Rep Josh Verburg. It was very sad to see a great rep of our receive word that he has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It is going to affect him for the rest of his life. On the other hand, it was one of the more encouraging things I have witnessed in a long time! His determination to make everything work and his attitude is amazing! Not one time (in front of me) did he feel down and out. His faith in Jesus Christ sure did come out and was a witness to us all! We will continue to pray for him and his family for a long time.
Goals for end of 2011:
1. Go to Mexico again! I would love to go to Mexico 6 more times this year, but I have to be realistic! I can NOT wait to meet up with some of my new buddies and meet new ones. Goal time period: September.
2. World Dairy Expo! Even though I am staying “home” to keep the business running, SDB is going to have our first booth at the WDE! I still can’t believe we are going! Our booth should be very busy. It is going to be a great time as always. It is also going to give all of our reps a time to get to know each other. I sure hope that one rep is NOT going to like it so I can take their place next year! 😉
3. World Ag Expo! I know it’s not until next year, but we have so much planning and work to do this year for the WAE! This is going to be so much fun!!! I wish I can say more, but I have to fight desire to tell!
4. Cross Breeds! We want to get something done with crossbreeding by the end of the year. We see great opportunity in crossbreeding…numbers do NOT lie! Many purebred breeders don’t see it, but when you see what these crossbreeds can do you don’t need a pencil to figure out what is profitable! Not sure exactly what we want to do, but we do want to start finding some cows we would work with around the country as possible bull dams. We would also love to expand to other breeds than just the Montbeliarde bulls we offer now. It is going to be interesting since this is not the conventional way of doing things, but again we aren’t conventional! 😉
5. Debt Reduction! Well, this is self-explanatory……unless your congress!!!
We wish all of you a very happy and profitable second half of 2011!!!